Bringing Your Spouse to the UK: Questions & Answers on Spouse Visa
Do you live in the UK and have secured Indefinite Leave to Remain? Perhaps your spouse does not currently reside in the UK with you. However, by applying for a Spouse Visa and meeting all specified requirements, your spouse may be able to migrate to the UK to live with you. Our latest blog covers common questions and answers concerning Spouse Visa.
What is a Spouse Visa?
A Spouse Visa is granted to non-EEA citizens and permits:
- A married partner of a UK citizen to immigrate to the UK because they are married to someone who is ordinarily resident in the UK and has no immigration restrictions.
- Or permits a married partner of someone who has settled in the UK and who has Indefinite Leave to Remain or refugee status or humanitarian protection in the UK.
What are Spouse Visa Requirements?
There are specific Spouse Visa requirements to meet as follows:
- You and your spouse must be 18 years or over
- You must have met each other and be legally married
- You must intend to live together permanently
- You must have enough money to support yourself and any dependants without claiming public funds
- The sponsoring partner must earn more than £18,600 per year or have enough savings to be able to sponsor.
- If you are bringing children, you will need additional funds.
- You must have suitable accommodation for you, your spouse, and any dependents
- You must satisfy the English language requirements
What is the Application Process for a Spouse Visa?
Spouse Visas can be applied for from either the UK or overseas.
What is the Timescale for a Spouse Visa Application?
It can take between 2 – 12 weeks for a Spouse Visa application. Processing times do vary depending on the county where the application is made.
How Long Does a Spouse Visa Last?
When applying for a Spouse Visa from the UK, a Spouse Visa will last for a period of 30 months.
When applying from overseas, a Spouse Visa will be issued for 33 months.
Extensions can be applied for an additional extension of 30 months and can contribute to the requirements for Indefinite Leave to Remain. Extensions must be applied for before the 30 months have expired.
Is There An Age Requirement For Spouse Visa?
Both partners have to be over 18 years old before spouse visas can be applied for. At the time of application, both partners must be over 18 years old. The UK citizen or sponsor (permanent resident) also must have met their spouse to qualify. This is to prevent arranged marriages.
When Can You Settle Permanently?
Applying to settle in the UK, also referred to as ‘Indefinite Leave to Remain’ can be done after you have lived in the country for 5 years continuously with permission to stay as a spouse. A spouse is defined as a ‘husband or wife’ only.
How Can We Help You?
During any immigration application process, it is strongly advisable to have the support of an experienced immigration solicitor. Bernadette Hassan from R.P.Crawford & Co Solicitors has been Head of our Asylum and Immigration Department since 2013 and is renowned as a leading solicitor within her field. To arrange a consultation with Bernadette, please contact us directly.